"Hold on, man. We don’t go anywhere with “scary,” “spooky,” “haunted,” or “forbidden” in the title(-Shaggy)

Timbit has been a busy boy this week.  First up, trip to Brantwood farm Wednesday afternoon.  It started off, well ok.  His school was one of many coming and going.  It was a cold and overcast day so if you are like me and prone to migraines, you were feeling crummy too.  So I decided to hoist up my big girl panties and suck it up.  Timothy's bus arrived late to the farm.  He was excited and ready to rock'n'roll.  I won't lie, I was nervous.  Our family often avoids outings like this that are busy and in "open" areas (with no enclosures).  Its a safety thing.  His usual EA was there and we teamed up to keep him safe and from running away.  It was hard, no joke.  Timothy didn't  "get" the activities, transitions and wasn't sure what the expectations were here.  I could see he was frustrated and I was too.  About half the trip was spent with him on the ground screaming/crying or me blocking him from hitting me.  It was TOO much.  He did however enjoy the hay ride.

Photo

He saved the worst for last.  It was time to go.  The EA and I fought him into his carseat.  He screamed and hit at me-not understanding why he couldn't ride the bus with his friends.  I listened to his screams all the way home, ducking the boots and his clothing he threw at me.  I felt a little stunned.  For some reason I had expected him to go along with everything like the other kids.  I know he's not like the other kids.  Sometimes I need reminders.

I realized that for Timothy he had done pretty ok.  I was proud of that.  We drove to McDonalds for some French fries and I told him I loved him and that I was proud of him.  He seemed to understand.

Big event number two of this week.........ready?

IBI called and they are ready to pick him up within the next few weeks! 

What is Intensive Behavioural Intervention?

  • Children with autism face a number of challenges–poor  social interaction skills, communication difficulties and developmental delays.
  • Intensive Behavioural Intervention (IBI) can help some children with autism. It's a structured approach to breaking down the  barriers that isolate children with autism from the world around them.

THIS IS HUGE!  MONUMENTAL!

We have been on a 3+ year waiting list.  Kind of a big deal.  So Timothy will be doing 22 hours of IBI a week(instead of school) starting next month.  I am very hopeful this will help him.

Today our family attended the Brantford Autism Support Group Halloween party.  I haven't attended any meetings thus far but was welcomed with open arms to attend this party.  I volunteered myself and Skylar to help set up so we showed up about 45 mins early to hang decorations, etc.  I made sure to bring popcorn-just in case there wasn't anything there that Timothy would eat as he doesn't eat candy, chocolate, etc.  (so I make sure to eat his share every Halloween)

I was so proud of Skylar.  I was especially touched when she approached a boy about her age with autism to say hello.  This boy looked a lot like Timothy.  It was as if a wave of emotion washed over me and I had to excuse myself-ahem, hair in my eye....(eye roll).  Kind of like looking into the future.  Maybe that's why I felt so affected?

Here are some pictures of the party:

 

 


mrburk
skyboobcakeboob

No comments:

Post a Comment